Senior Local Governance Advisor. – Mogadishu, Somalia
- Job category: Governance Affairs
- Post date:16 Jun 2020
- Share job:
Federal Republic of Somalia Benadir Regional Administration Mogadishu Local Government
JAMHUURIYADDA FEDERAALKA SOOMAALIYA
MAAMULKA GOBOLKA BANAADIR
DAWLADDA HOOSE EE MUQDISHO
TERMS OF REFERENCE (ToR)
|Title of the position:||Senior Local Governance Advisor.|
|Type of Contract:||Individual Contract|
|Duration of the assignment:||1 year|
|Supervisor:||BRA JPLG Coordinator|
The Municipality of Mogadishu (MoM), Benadir Regional Administration (BRA) is the governing authority of the Somalia capital Mogadishu. It has the mandate of social service provision mainly in primary education, health, clean drinking water, affordable energy, sanitation and environmental protection. MoM is also responsible for transport infrastructure rebuilding including roads and bridges for better transportation and boosting economic growth. Mogadishu Municipality collects revenues through taxation in all the seventeen districts in Mogadishu and invests in development projects.
The Municipality has a 5-year Strategic Development Plan that guides its developmental milestones that aim at establishing systems and structures for local governance and strengthening the capacity of the city and districts with a view to promoting democratic and accountable government that provides better basic services for stability and enhanced peace. To effectively deliver on its mandate, the Municipality intends to hire a Local Governance Expert to offer strategic advice on the operations of the municipality that will facilitate city development and governance.
Objectives of the assignment
The overall objective is to provide technical support to the BRA to contribute to the enhancement of the Local Government capacity and performance. He/she shall also support the newly established Mogadishu Local Government Institute in implementing a system for coordinated local government employees training across BRA.
Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provide technical support to the Municipality planning process at city and district level
- Help and advise the municipality to implement the decentralized policy framework at the district and ward levels
- Provide advisory inputs for all ongoing and planned operations by the municipality towards service delivery
- Knowledge building and knowledge sharing in all areas of local governance, development planning and implementation.
- Formulate the Mogadishu Local Government Institute’s Strategic plan for the coming 5 years.
- Support Mogadishu Local Government Institute and provide advice related to the institute’s development and enhancing its work
- Support in reviewing the Local Governments Institute curriculum to ensure relevancy and the translation of the curriculum into Somali language
- Provide advice towards training facilities and quality control of Mogadishu Local Government institute
Monitoring and Reporting
The consultant will develop monthly and quarterly work plans to be approved by the Mayor of Mogadishu and the UNDP-JPLG Project Manager. The Consultant will provide monthly progress reports for clearance by the Mayor and Mogadishu and the UNDP Project Manager before payment is made.
Qualification and application process
Level of Education
Master’s degree in Social Science, Public Administration, Political Science or any other related and relevant field as well as qualification in training methodologies. Additional qualifications project management and working with joint programmes are an added advantage.
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ work experience in local authorities or central government institution responsible for local government, including capacity building; minimum 5 year of which should have been spent in Somalia.
- Comprehensive understanding of local governance and experience working in or with a local government institution.
- At least 5 years’ experience in training and capacity building for local authorities
- An understanding of Somalia’s local government system.
- Experience in promoting capacity building and local governance in multi-cultural environments, and in conflict environments
- Experience in management and working as an advisor
- Experience in representing government in multi-stakeholder forums
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for both English and Somali
General Skills / Other Requirements
- Excellent communication, presentation skills, analytical and interpersonal abilities;
- Ability to operate as part of a team, but also independently
- Ability to identify innovative approaches to problems in a challenging environment;
- Computer proficiency with high level of familiarity with commonly used packages like MS office;
- Ability to work under pressure
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit your cover letter addressing methodology to be applied to carry out the work based on the ToR and your curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org copying email@example.com and Abdullahi.firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 30th June 2020 at 5:00pm indicating “Senior Local Governance Advisor” in the subject line.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply
BRA will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
Applications addressed to only one of the above email addresses will be disqualified.
Only email applications will be accepted.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1893 total views, 6 today