Senior Local Government Advisor, Ministry of Interior and Local Government -Jubaland
- Job category: Advisor
- Post date:3 Sep 2020
- Share job:
Terms of Reference (TOR) for Senior Local Government Advisor
(LOCAL GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENT)
Senior Local Government Advisor, Ministry of Interior and Local Government
Type of Contract
Director General – Ministry of Interior and Local Government
12 Months with possibility of extension
The Ministry of Interior and Local Governments (MoILG) of Jubaland are responsible for the local government’s portfolio, including district council formation, establishing systems for local governance structures and strengthening their capacity with a view to promoting democratic and accountable local governments that provide better basic services for stability and enhanced peace. The MoILG are currently in the process of forming district councils in the districts in line with Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) Wadajir National Framework for Local Governance. The MoILG therefore intend to hire Senior Local Government Advisors to support the work of their Departments of Local Government (DoLG) that will enable the ministry achieve their local governments mandates.
The Advisors should ensure that in implementation of their work, strong emphasis is placed on gender, women, youth and marginalized groups in local government, human rights, local governance and good governance principles of transparency, accountability and participation.
The primary target groups for support by the Advisors are Department of Local Government, Department of Planning and other Department staff of MoILG. The secondary target groups are district councilors and LG staff, as well as staff in relevant State government institutions, notably in Ministry responsible for local government, planning, public works and finance. Where relevant, non-state actors will be used to help build capacity among the primary and secondary target groups.
- Ensure that MoILG plays an active role in policy advice, strategic thinking and knowledge sharing through conducting policy briefings and participating in missions related to local governance; and promoting the flow of information to donors, government institutions, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Provide support to MoILG to participate in policy forums with relevant stakeholders including other institutions, civil society, the private sector, and donor organizations to ensure coherency in approaches to relevant policy agendas.
- Provide support to MoILG to write policy and strategy briefings as required on relevant issues for local governance.
- Strengthen capacity of MoILG to ensure that all donor support contributes to the improvement in service delivery, accountability and transparency, and that gender sensitivity and other relevant cross cutting issues are being addressed.
- Provide policy and strategic advice to relevant government stakeholders on policy and guideline requirements for the local governance, and
- Communicate, with guidance from MoILG, closely with government stakeholders at national, regional and district level to enhance further expansion and/or consolidation of the project activities.
- Provide support to MoILG and district councils to identify options for resource mobilization at the local level and promote policy discussions with relevant government agencies and local authorities on this issue.
- Set up a system in MoILG to gather relevant information including maps, reports and other material that enhance the knowledge needed to further implementation of the local governments reform programs, and help ensure that this information is made available to district councils in a timely manner.
- Encourage full participation of stakeholders in the local government planning reform process to enhance empowerment and ownership.
- Assist MoILG in identification and formulation of coordinated approaches to local government planning, management and implementation of activities.
- Assist MoILG in promotion of approaches to design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of activities that encourage empowerment and ownership.
- Assist MoILG to ensure it encourages the participation of all stakeholders and special interest groups, especially women, youth, the elderly and disabled, and IDPS in the planning, implementation and evaluation of all development and capacity building activities
- Support MoILG to gather relevant information including maps, reports and other material to enhance knowledge and understanding of the location of the different interest groups and communities who need specific targeting
- Support MoILG to ensure efficient day-to-day management of all local government planning and capacity building activities
- Support MoILG to ensure that all activities, especially but not limited to those agreed to under the Joint Local Governance Program (JPLG), are implemented in an efficient and timely manner, according to agreed upon workplans, and in compliance with relevant rules and regulations.
- Assist MoILG to identify human resource needs, assist in the preparation and regular updating of Terms of Reference for staff and consultants, supervise staff, and conduct regular performance reviews as required.
- Help ensure that staff capacity and capability is utilized in the most efficient manner to achieve service delivery through district councils.
- Provide support to MoILG in liaison with counterparts with regards to all donor funded activities and facilitate efficient management of the projects by government counterparts to ensure accountability, transparency and good governance principles.
- Provide appropriate support to MoILG to ensure that all project activities are well planned and coordinated, and that roll-out of local governments projects take place in a coherent manner.
- In consultation with relevant MoILG staff, provide support to the preparation of workplans and budgets necessary to meet the outputs.
- Help facilitate team building and coordination between all MoILG staff to ensure improved output.
- Assist MoILG in preparation of relevant progress reports on activities of local government projects which are directly linked to identified outputs and activities.
- Support MoILG to design and supervise capacity building and training programmes, monitoring and evaluation frameworks and ensure timely implementation of activities in order to achieve appropriate coordination and harmonization of all project activities.
- Assist MoILG define capacity building goals in line with workplans agreed to with the JPLG and within the given budget framework.
- Provide support to MoILG to design, schedule, implement and supervise a capacity building plan for ministry officials, regional and district councilors and staff and ensure that all training activities are implemented as planned
- Assist MoILG ensure that all MoILG staff have relevant workplans and assist MoILG in the follow up of these workplans to ensure timely implementation of all capacity.
- Support MoILG to design tender documents for procurement of training service provider and follow through with a procurement and selection process.
- Support MoILG Planning Department to provide quality control of all activities in MoILG and at local government level to ensure efficient implementation of the workplan
- Assist MoILG to design a backstopping and quality control plan and help facilitate effective implementation of service delivery at the local level
- Provide support and guidance to help ensure appropriate management of funds by MoILG and at district level
- Identify gaps and challenges and support MoILG to solve these problems and facilitate MoILG to call on districts to help solve identified problems.
- Help ensure appropriate management of all resources and assets provided to MoILG and target emerging districts.
- Perform any other duties that maybe assigned by the Director General or requested by the JPLG.
Monitoring and Reporting
- The consultants will provide monthly progress reports to the DG MOI by summarizing work done
- The reports are to be approved by the Director General.
VI: Qualifications and Experience
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1307 total views, 3 today