Technical Coordinator – Dhusomareeb, Somalia
- Job category: Technical Affairs
- Post date:3 May 2021
- Job expires in: 5 days
- Share job:
Ref: DGGM/WHG/20/2021 April/ 2021
Ministry of Public Work, Reconstruction & Housing of Galmudug State of Somalia
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (REOI)
INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT’S SELECTION
Country: Galmudug State of Somalia
Name of the Project: Ministry and UN-Habitat related to Urban Planning
Consulting Service: Technical Coordinator
Duty Station: Dhusomareb
Deadline: 10thMay 2021
Ref No.: SOM-MoPWR&H- XXX-CS-INDV
(Terms of Reference Technical Coordinator)
- Project Background and Description
Building to fulfill its mandate through the UN Joint Programme on Local Governance, Somalia Programme (JPLG), jointly implemented by the following agencies: ILO, UNCDF, UNDP, UNICEF, and UN-Habitat.
Major activities of the cooperation between the Ministry and UN-Habitat related to Urban Planning in 2020/2021 are the following:
– Implementation urban planning activities incl. technical trainings for ministerial and district staff related to urban planning and urban management,
– Technical support for “MoPWR&H” to strengthening its capacity in spatial planning (data collection and resilience planning),
– Support for public awareness related to urban land management
The Technical Coordinator (Urban Planning) consultancy will be supported through an Agreement of Cooperation between “MoPWR&H” and UN-Habitat’s Somalia Programme, Regional Office for Africa (ROAF), under JPLG.
The Consultant will be working under the overall coordination of the senior officials at “MoPWR&H”. She/he will be responsible to manage and coordinate various projects and capacity development activities linked to urban land management legislation and urban planning.
She/he will report to the Senior Officials
Due to many cross-cutting issues it is expected that the Urban Planner closely collaborates with the other departments of the ministry as well as with district councils and the UN-Habitat National Programme Officer in Galmudug as well as with assigned Human Settlement Officer of UN-Habitat’s Somalia Programme.
The consultancy is linked to the willingness to undertake frequent missions to project districts.
The consultant will be paid upon agreed deliverables (work plan).
- Organizing Urban Planning Capacity Building activities within the ministry and for technical st aff of selected Galmudug’s districts;
- Collaboration with other technical coordinators at MPWRH and substantial contribution to collect, validate, update, maintain and store data related to urban development, urban risk and resilience;
Within the delegated authority, the Technical Coordinator (Urban Planning) will be responsible for the following duties related to the above listed fields:
Managerial and coordination duties
- Report on progress of assigned project work to supervisors and administration of funds committed to project work;
- Coordinate with other departments in the ministry and other ministries, development partners and agencies, involved into urban planning matters;
- Provide administrative and substantive support to planning consultative and training workshops, conferences etc., including agenda topics, identifying facilitators and participants and handling logistics;
- Act as liaison with consulting professionals in urban planning and land management legislation and policy matters;
- Liaise with assigned UN-Habitat staff on technical matters.
Capacity Development related activities
- Develop a work plan for training activities on urban planning for technical staff of the MPWRH, staff from supported districts and staff from ministries crucial for urban development planning and coordination of infrastructure works;
- Provide substantive support for preparation of training materials and presentations related to urban planning,
- Support capacity development activities for districts, for example preparation of trainings and training materials,
- Provide for technical assistance and training of assigned ministerial staff in urban planning matters (in-house, training-on-the-job),
- Evaluate the effect of various capacity development related activities and makes proposals for further improvements.
Urban Planning analytical and technical work
- Develop project design and organizes field and site visits, and organizes coordination meetings related to participatory urban planning with ministry supported districts, mainly focused on but not limited to Dhusamareb and Galkacyo to review resilience plans, Community Action Plans, and other relevant urban development plans and strategies, supporting finalization and approval of the documents;
- Provide technical support in spatial and socio-economic data compilation for urban planning purposes, for example urban profiles;
- Prepare background study reports / development proposal reports or assist in the production of documents; hereby closely collaborate with districts and other concerned ministries;
- Design and develop map contents and produce basic maps, for example mapping of projects and stakeholders;
- Provide for technical expertise on reports, concept notes etc. and provide for substantial inputs to development plans at various levels (district, regional and national level),
- Assist in preparation of meetings of urban planning stakeholders and follow-up activities related to assigned urban planning projects,
- Other assignments upon request, for example technical advice to Director senior official and Minister on urban planning matters.
The consultancy is expected to run through the duration of the Agreement of Cooperation between ”MoPWR&H” and UN-Habitat with an expected completion by November 20/ 2021, and follows its implementation schedule. A comprehensive work plan will be elaborated and approved with the supervision of MPWRH and UN-Habitat‘s Somalia Programme, with the definition of detailed deliverables.
- Knowledge and understanding of basic theories, concepts and approaches relevant to Urban and Development Planning;
- Have conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis;
- Familiar with various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases;
- Ability to conduct process and apply spatial- and socio-economic data and reflect critically on their usage for production of analytical maps and planning proposals;
- Have spatial sense and ability to think strategically;
- Able to manage assigned work in professional manner, e.g. structured, forward looking, in time;
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; and also, persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
- Service oriented and loyal to employer.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Can adjust communication style to various situations, for example presentation, planning discussion, inter-ministerial working group;
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Willing to learn from others;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies and work plan;
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for time contingencies; adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently;
- Report in time when challenges occur that hamper accomplishment of assigned tasks; foreseeing risks and allowing for contingencies when preparing work plans and project timelines;
- Maintain a close collaboration to project partners (service-oriented) and UN-Habitat.
- A first-level university degree in urban planning or architecture and civil engineering with specialization in urban and regional planning and urban management or engineering management.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) is an advantage.
- A minimum of two years of experience in urban planning and management of development related projects and programmes. Work experience in government sector is an advantage.
- Strong written and oral skills in both Somali and English are a requirement.
- Knowledge of basic computer programmes such as Word, Spread sheet, email and internet search functions are essential. The same is for presentation skills and experience in moderation and mediation. Profound ARC GIS and / or AutoCAD knowledge is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency- based interview. The recruitment process will be done in close collaboration of “MoPWR&H” and JPLG.
Applications from qualified women will be highly welcomed.
Internal candidates with required qualification and experience are highly encouraged to apply.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant method set out in the “MPWR&H” RECRIUTMENT, SELECTION & APPOINTMENT POLICY
Interested applicants may obtain further information including a detailed Terms of Reference from the from the “MoPWR&H” website on: www.mpwr.so or upon submission of application to the following email address given below during office hours from 8.30 a.m.– 3.30 p.m. Saturday to Thursday.
Expressions of Interest must be delivered electronically to the above email address by 10th May, 2021 at
15:00 PM and indicate “Expression of Interest for “MoPWR&H.”
Email: email@example.com, cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1159 total views, 141 today