Term of References (TOR) for Two Extension officers in Jalalaqsi district, Hiran region, Somalia
- Job category: Agriculture/Environment/Farming
- Post date:4 Oct 2021
- Share job:
Term of References to Two Extension officers in Jalalaqsi district, Hiran region, Somalia
- Background of the organization: SOADO is a local Humanitarian and Development Organization registered at the Ministry of interior and federal affairs, of federal government of Somalia. The overall goal of this organization is to improve the livelihood conditions of the Somali society through promoting sustainable agriculture, conservation of natural resource, capacity building of the rural communities through provision of skill training to women and youth. SOADO operates in food security, nutrition and health sectors. The organization implements agro-ecological farming practices in south-central Somalia.
SOADO in partnership with Protestant Agency for Diakonie and Development/ Bread for the World (EWDE), cooperates for the implementation of the Project ‘Enhancing the ecological farming system of agro-pastoral communities in Jalalaqsi district (phase II) aiming at improving food security among the agro pastoral and riverine communities in the Hiran region. The project addresses the underlying issues such as farming practices, diversification of crops and soil fertility amendments.
- Project information: The project target areas are agro-pastoral and riverine farmers along the Shabelle river and adjacent rainfed farmlands whose primitive farming practices have undermined the production capacity of the farmers and farms.The production systems are characterized by poor agronomic practices, use of low/no quality seed, little or no manure or organic matters, degraded farmland in a degraded ecosystem with unpredictable rainfall patterns due to climate change and variability. The same land has been used by small scale farmers for many years without any soil fertility management.
The project intends to address improvement farmland productivity and enhance household economic. The project also seeks to ensure and improve the knowledge of farmers on agro-ecological farming practices and natural resource conservation. The project will conduct series of farmer training on ecological farming practices, developed demonstration fields, organized farmer field visit/days, developed crop diversification programs, developed and promoted integration of animal manure to the crop fields, facilitated distribution of N-fixing technologies, scale up the growing Orange Fleshed Sweet Potato (OFSP), other fruits and root crops and provide seasonal extension service to the target groups.
- Scope of the work: the selected Extension officer will be expected to carry out the following duties:
- Identify and form farmer groups
- Mobilize farmers in implementing their agriculture activity effectively
- Assist farmers to realize their regular meetings
- Assist farmers by providing information about agricultural techniques appropriate to the local condition, inputs availability, and credits and marketing
- Assist farmers in formulation of seasonal cultivation and annual needs
- Prepare work schedule or extension events in coordination with project team
- Conduct plot demonstration (Demo Plot) to stimulate farmer to adopt agricultural technology and arrange Farmer Field Days with farmer groups
- Identify and predict pests or disease that may affect crop and livestock, and provide means to stop or control with the assistance of program manager.
- Assist farmers to diagnose farming related problems and propose appropriate solutions
- Coordinate with community leader and development agencies in rural area to ensure successful implementation of programs
- Undertake data collection at village level, such as number of household, hectares, production volume etc.
- Elaborate operational plan for extension activity and monthly report
- Undertake any tasks as may be assigned from the management team
- Duration of the assignment: The term of Extension officer is one year and can be extended up to three years
- Requirements and experiences of the Extension Officer: the applicant must demonstrate the following requirement in their applicant In order to be considered for the Job.
- At least a university degree in agriculture, high diploma in Agriculture or Secondary agricultural school
- Demonstrate at least three years of experience in conducting extension service related jobs
- Experience in community entry, mobilization and participatory methodology
- Demonstrate ability to write comprehensive report with in-depth analysis
- Ability to work in rural communities and challenging environment
- Application process: all interested individuals should submit a letter of intension and Cv indicate previous experiences to SOADO via email: firstname.lastname@example.org by COB 5PM on the 15th October 2021. Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
801 total views, 4 today