Terms of Reference: Communication Specialist
- Job category: Sales/Marketing/Communication
- Post date:8 Sep 2019
- Share job:
Terms of Reference:
The Government of the Federal Republic of Somalia established a National Economic Council (NEC) chaired by the President of the FGS, and the Prime Minister as alternate together with the Presidents of Federal Member States, the economic sub-committee of Cabinet of the FGS, the Governor of the Central Bank of Somalia, and five (5) national economic Experts.
NEC and its components are set to consider and deliberate on national and international economic matters, of national importance and manage national economic reforms for economic recovery, sustainable high growth, and poverty reduction, through achievable strategies and sound policies. It is the platform where economic policies and plans are formulated, and regional and international economic cooperation are discussed. Among other things, the NEC will focus on building institutions and sound public financial management that are essential to delivering economic and social services urgently.
The main objectives of the NEC include. The setting of domestic and international economic policies, ensuring that policy decisions and programs are consistent with the national economic agenda, and the monitoring of the implementation of sound policies and plans to promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
Objectives of the Position
The overall responsibilities of the communication specialist are to develop, manage, coordinate, network, implement, and monitor communication strategy and associated products. It is also to promote the council’s work or activities on an on-going basis by engaging large audiences.
She/he will carry out all tasks in strict compliance with the rules and regulations set forth by the NEC.
Duties and Responsibilities of Communication Specialist:
The Communication Specialist shall do everything necessary to meet the responsibility of the NEC, including but not limited to, carrying out the following tasks:
- Ensure that all communication products are in full compliance, and all activities are up to date with Government and donor reporting requirements.
- Ensure that the National Economic Council has a clear communication strategy and associated work plan to support the NEC objectives and get economic issues into the public domain and enhance the institution’s credibility and brand
- Draft press releases, forum reports, social media content, and online articles on NEC issues such as study reports, policy briefs, updates, and other communications products.
- Ensure that the National Economic Council has a well maintained and continually developed a contact list of journalists and media outlets,
- Ensure a successful process of communicating and maintaining regular contact and close collaboration with the media to communicate the NEC’s work and forums to a broader audience.
- Organize press conferences, interviews, and press encounters for the NEA when requested.
- Draft media lines to take and ensure that messages and media engagement is aligned to NEC communications and coordinated with relevant departments and ministries.
- Manage and maintain the National Economic Council Website
- Prepare minutes of the meetings, work plans, calendars, and agenda.
- Maintain a record-keeping system for all activities of the National Economic Council.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
Education: Master’s degree in Public Relations, Media and Communications, Public Administration, or related field or Bachelor’s degree with additional ten years of relevant professional experience that includes work on communications and public relations.
Experience: The Communication Specialist will need to demonstrate skills and competencies in the following areas:
- Minimum of 8 years of related experience in communications and public relations.
- Technical expertise in social media and web administration is required.
- Knowledge of strategic communications.
- Technical expertise in report writing, press realizes and ability to communicate clearly and effectively, and meet deadlines for publication and media releases.
- An excellent network of contacts within the Somali media community
- Knowledge of economic issues is desirable.
- Proven and substantial knowledge and experience in providing similar service to the Government Institutions
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to organize high-level meetings
- Proficient in MS Office, with advanced PowerPoint skills.
Starting period and duration of assignment: Indicative start date is October 2019. The contract is expected to run for three months with the possibility of extension. The Communication Specialist will have a three months’ probationary period.
Location of the assignment: The duty station in Mogadishu, Somalia. Communication Specialist will be based on the NEC office.
Deadline: September 15th, 2019 (only shortlisted candidates will be contacted)
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
904 total views, 2 today