TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR A CONSULTANT OF GENDER EQULITY CAPACITY BUILDING – Puntland, Somalia
- Job category: Consultancy
- Post date:29 May 2021
- Job expires in: 2 days
- Share job:
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR A CONSULTANT OF GENDER EQULITY CAPACITY BUILDING
Diakonia is a Swedish international development organization that works in about 26 countries in Africa, Latin America, Middle East, and Asia by supporting local partners. Diakonia’s vision is a Just, Equal, and Sustainable World. Diakonia’s mission and goal are to change unfair political, economic, social, and cultural structures that cause poverty, oppression, inequality, and violence to fulfill the right of all people to live a life in dignity. Diakonia’s work focuses on three areas: democracy, human rights, gender justice guided by a human rights-based approach, and Diakonia’s values and feminist principles.
The Somalia Country Office has 2 programmes within its current strategy plan (2020 to 2025), which focus on democratic governance, human rights, and building resilience of youth and agropastoral communities. Diakonia is working with 11 implementing partners (9 in Puntland and 2 in Southwest States). The portfolio of partners includes organizations that Diakonia has worked with over a long period of time and others who are new. Besides, the portfolio includes a government ministry and the government office of human rights defenders.
Diakonia believes that without gender justice, there can be no real development, no real democracy, no real exercise of human rights, and no real peace. Diakonia works with women´s rights and gender justice as a result in themselves and mainstreams gender equality institutionally and in all programme interventions.
Democracy, Human Rights and Resilience Programme 2020-2023 aims to Improve democratic participation and governance, improve respect for human rights and enhance disaster risk management in Puntland and South West States of Somalia. With the 11 implementing partners, the programme targets 15 districts in Puntland and Southwest states to contribute to the following results:
- Improved inclusive participation and accountability.
- Increased awareness and respect for human rights.
- Enhanced disaster risk management
- Partners have strengthened capacity to contribute to democratic state building and disaster resilience.
- Purpose of the Assignment
In 2020, Diakonia undertook an assessment of the partners capacity to work with gender mainstreaming and gender equality. This entailed evaluating their understanding and knowledge of integrating gender equality in their daily work in general, including how their internal policies and procedures are useful to that end. The main gaps identified on gender equality were lack of gender policies or strategies, particularly for civil society organization partners. A huge gap was also identified in the gender-responsive budgeting including gender auditing, monitoring, collecting gender-sensitive data, and reporting. Diakonia sees this as a key strategic issue that needs to be strengthened for the partners staff capacity to operationalize and institutionalize the Gender Mainstreaming and Gender Equality.
- Objective of the Assignment
The main objective of the assignment is to strengthen the capacity of Diakonia and its partners’ staff capacity to enhance gender mainstreaming practices in all their programme and operational interventions.
- Scope of the Assignment
- Assess the gender mainstreaming capacity of the Diakonia office and partners by referring to the Diakonia assessment and having one-on-one meetings with each one of them. This is to be used as a pre-capacity development evaluation.
- Develop detailed gender equality, gender mainstreaming, and gender-responsive planning and budgeting training modules and training session plan for capacity development. Develop Conceptual clarity on Gender equality and mainstreaming and the capacity for Gender Analysis and Gender Responsive Planning and budgeting amongst the Diakonia and partners ‘staff.
- Come up with different training modalities for on-the-job training and formal training sessions to ensure gender equality and mainstreaming are institutionalized.
- Develop and review the partners ‘existing gender equality-related policies/frameworks and identify if they are up to standard and provide technical expertise in determining the implementation road map of the policies/framework.
- Increase the Diakonia and partners staff capacity for addressing gender issues in the development of policies/ strategies and programmes.
- Support partners and Diakonia staff to formulate and analyze feminism context and power relations by addressing the issues towards transforming the root causes of gender inequality, not just its manifestations and effects.
- Support the Diakonia staff and partners in developing a gender-responsive budget model/ plan using a unified format with all the partners.
- Develop a post-workshop evaluation to take feedback from the workshop, identify any unmet expectations, and identify priorities for further capacity-building activities.
- Develop a comprehensive M&E framework that realizes the implementation of gender equality assessment to ensure quality and sustainable gender mainstreaming efforts.
- Key Results/Deliverables Expected
The expert will work closely with Diakonia and partner designated staff. All deliverables will be submitted to the joint team of Diakonia and partners on dates to be mutually agreed during the inception meeting. The consultant(s)/ firm should submit following key deliverables,
- Gender responsive planning and budget is clearly operationalized and institutionalized.
- Equality and Feminist principles are clearly understood by the partners and institutionalized.
- Finalized capacity building materials and modules/ session plans.
- Finalized gender equality and mainstreaming policies/ toolkits.
- Comprehensive report of the whole process, including feedback collected from the participants (Diakonia and partners), the relevance and effectiveness of the training, and a proposal to address areas where additional capacity building or follow-up may be needed. The report should be clear on what is achieved on each item of the TOR.
- The methodology can be proposed by the consultant. However, the consultant(s)/ firm will closely work with Diakonia and partners to discuss and design the appropriate methodologies for the capacity development process. All the programme documents, gender assessment documents, Diakonia gender mainstreaming toolkit, and partners’ information will be shared with the consultant(s)/ firm for review.
- The consultant(s)/ firm will prepare an inception report/proposal before the commencement of the assignment. The inception report/proposal will present the proposed methodology of the assignment in which Diakonia and the consultant(s)/ firm will discuss the realization of the achievement of the capacity development methodology.
The total duration of the consultancy/task is expected to be 90 calendar days from date of appointing. The consultancy will be executed between August to October 2021.
The consultant(s)/ firm will report to Diakonia M&E programme officer with coordination of the Country Director.
- Skills and Competencies of the Consultant
Diakonia Somalia Country Office seeks to engage the services of qualified and experienced experts to undertake this exercise. The experts must have the following qualifications and experience:
- Minimum of 7 years of Professional experience in the areas of gender analysis, gender equality, gender mainstreaming, gender-based monitoring and evaluation and gender responsive budgeting and planning.
- Demonstrated expertise in mainstreaming gender in projects and programs, especially in areas of intervention similar to Diakonia’s and in the context of Somalia.
- Knowledge and/or experience in Rights-Based Approach (RBA)
- Demonstrated experience in developing gender equality policies and gender mainstreaming toolkits.
- An advanced degree in a gender related field.
- Experience in providing capacity building workshops on gender and feminist related areas.
- Knowledge of the laws and regulations of both Federal Government and Federal Member State (Specifically Puntland and Southwest) regarding gender.
- Submission of Applications
Based on the above, Diakonia Somalia Country Office is inviting interested individuals and/or firms to submit applications that shall include the following:
- Experts’ profile and Capability Statement describing the technical capacity and experience of the firm or group of individuals.
- Curriculum Vitae of the applicant.
- Testimonials and 3 sample reports of similar assignments taken in the recent past.
- Interpretation of the above Terms of Reference.
- Detailed implementation plan and timeframes.
- A budget proposal, including breakdown and justification.
The applications shall be sent, in soft copy to firstname.lastname@example.org – Deadline for application submission is 18th June 2021.
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1384 total views, 19 today