TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR A CONSULTANT TO CONDUCT MAPPING AND CAPACITY ASSESSMENT OF POTENTIAL LOCAL GOVERNMENT TRAINING PROVIDERS IN THE GALMUDUG
- Job category: Consultancy
- Post date:23 Oct 2020
- Share job:
MINISTRY OF INTERIOR, FEDERAL AND RECONCILIATION OF GALMUDUG
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR A CONSULTANT TO CONDUCT MAPPING AND CAPACITY ASSESSMENT OF POTENTIAL LOCAL GOVERNMENT TRAINING PROVIDERS IN THE GALMUDUG.
Title of Consultancy : Mapping and capacity assessment of potential training providers
Duration of the assignment : 1 month
Issue Date : 23/10/2020
Deadline of Submission :31/10/2020
the UN Joint Programme on Local Governance and Decentralized Service Delivery in Somalia (UN JPLG), are in the process of enhancingthe capacity and competencies of officials, staff and local leaders in through regular, structured and sustained training. This process builds on the training and other forms of capacity building the UN JPLG has been providing to Somalia since 2008, and is part of the broader ongoing efforts to establish a functional Local Government Institute (LGI) in Somalia to enhance the performance of local governments using standardized curriculum and modules. The main goal is to improve the performance of local governments, which will lead to enhancementof local governance and service delivery for the benefit of the Somali people.
The LGI is Somalia’s national institutionresponsible for training local governments inthe country. But it is recognized that due to the enormous task involved, the LGI cannot, on its own, conduct all the trainings required and will need to partner with other organizations – e.g. universities, colleges, specialized institutions, Non-Government Organizations (NGOs), etc. – toalso provide targeted training to local governments within their areas of competence. For this reason, mapping and capacity assessment of potential local government training providers has already been conducted in several Federal Members States including Puntland (June 2016) and Jubbaland, South West and Hirshabelle (March-April 2019).
A consultant is now being sought to conduct a similar exercise in the Galmudug.
The overall objective of the assignment is to map and assess the capacity of Universities, local learning service providers and consultancy firm that can partner with the LGI to provide training tolocal governments in the Galmudug Statein the specific areas of the local government core curriculum. The curriculumcomprises the District Participatory Planning & Budgeting Guide covering induction and orientation, Human Resource Management, Leadership, General Management, planning, budgeting, financial management, investment programming, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation – among other things.
TheLearning institutions, consultancy, and organizations to be mapped and assessed will be purposively selected by theMOILG and sector Ministries with support from UN-JPLG taking basing on the work those institutions and organizationshave previously done.
The mapping and capacity assessment exercise will be informed by previous works and ongoing activities relating to the Local Government Institute. The methodology will be determined by the consultant but is expected to involve desk review of the following documents:
1) The National Local Government Capacity Development Policy (NLGCDP);
2) The LGI Training Standards, Guidelines and Quality Assurance Framework;
3) The Draft National Curriculum outlining the broad training programme offered by the LGI.
4) Mapping assessment done in other states
In executing the assignment the consultant will undertake the following tasks:
- Discuss and agree with key MOILG and UN JPLG officials on the nature and scope of the mapping and capacity assessment assignment.
- Develop the mapping and capacity assessment instrument and discuss it with key MOILG and UN JPLG . Revise the instrument on the basis of feedback received.
- Submit an inception report within three (5) working days detailing the consultant’s understanding of the Terms of Reference, as well as the approach/methodology, workplan and schedule to be adopted.
- Map and assess the capacity of the institutions and organizations that will have been selected by the MOILG-Galmudug and UN JPLG team and submit a draft report to key stakeholders for review and comments.The exercisewill involve study of various documents to be provided by the target institutions i.e. training reports, strategic plans, CVs of training staff, registration documents etc.
- Facilitate a one-day workshop at which a broad range of LGI stakeholders will provide feedback and comments on the draft mapping and capacity assessment report.
- Produce and submit a final report incorporating the comments received the stakeholders’ workshop. The report should contain recommendations on the way forward.
- Participate in the selection by MOILG and Sector Ministries (MOE/MOH/MOWPs/MOET) of the most suitable institutions to partner with the LGI in local government training in Galmudug State districts.
D. Expected Outputs and Deliverables
|Deliverable||Estimated Duration to
|Target Due dates||Review and approvals
|Percentage weight of total professional fee|
|Submit an inception report within three (3) working days detailing the consultant’s understanding of the Terms of Reference, as well as the approach/methodology, workplan and schedule to be adopted.||5 days||8th Nov 2020||
|Draft report of the mapping and capacity assessments of the respondent institutions||12 days
|20th November 2020||MOILG-Minister/DG /UNDP||50%|
|Produce Final report with recommendations||5 days
|10th December 2020||30%|
Education & Experience
Advanced university degree in public administration, public finance, development administration, policy sciences, and education together with at least 8 years of relevant experience in institutional capacity building.
Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Somali
General Skills / Other Requirements
- Excellent communication, presentation, analytical and inter-personal skills;
- Ability to operate as part of a team, but also independently;
- Ability to identify innovative approaches to problems in a challenging environment;
- Computer proficiency with high level of familiarity with commonly used packages like MS office;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Sound understanding of the political and development context of Somalia;
- Good understanding and proven record of analytical work on public service reform and policy, government planning and budgeting processes (e.g., public expenditure management, participatory local governance, community participation, and capacity building;)
- Experience in working with Local and State Governments within the context of current Somaliawould be an advantage.
- Knowledge and skills in technologies of instructions including online distance learning methodologies.
How to Apply.
Please send your curriculum vitae and cover letter marked “District Capacity Building Consultant”, The deadline of the Application Submission By, 31 /10/2020, To, Email: Hr.email@example.com and Copy to Salah.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Galmudug Ministry of Interior will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1384 total views, 4 today