Terms of Reference Gender Expert Specialist Ministry of Energy &Water Resources (MoEWR) Somalia
- Job category: Gender Affairs
- Post date:12 Jan 2020
- Share job:
|Ministry of Energy &Water Resources (MoEWR)|
Terms of Reference
Gender Expert Specialist Ministry of Energy &Water Resources (MoEWR)
The Federal Government of Somalia
|A. Project Background and Objectives
The Ministry of Energy and water Resources is implementing the Support for Integrated Water Resources Management to ensure Water Access and Disaster Reduction for Somalia’s Agro-Pastoralists Project, funded by Global Environmental Facility (GEF) on behalf of Ministry of Energy and Water Resources, Federal Government of Somalia.
The Integrated Water Resources Management project addresses Somalia’s first priority identified in its NAPA (2013): the need to build the climate resilience of agro-pastoralists while simultaneously increasing investment into sustainable water management.
The Integrated Water Resources Management Project is to ensure water access and disaster reduction for Somalia’s Agro-pastoralists.
Project objective is to re-force technical and operational capacities at federal, state and local levels to manage water resources sustainably to build the climate resilience ofagro-pastoralists in Somalia. The Project components are as fellow:
➢ Water resource management policies establishing clear national and district responsibilities
➢ Transfer of technologies for enhanced climate risk monitoring and reporting on water resources in drought and flood prone areas
➢ Improved water management and livelihood diversification for pastoralists.
The Ministry of Energy and Water Resources in consultation with UNDP will be responsible for the management and coordination of the project with exception of Somaliland. The project will be monitored by Project Steering Committee (PSC) comprising the Ministry of Energy and Water Resources (FMS), Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Education, Ministry Livestock and Range, Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation, Ministry of Women and Gender to ensure alignment will comply with FGS, UNDP, and GEF coordination policies.
For this background on behalf of the Ministry of Energy and Water Resource is seeking a qualified candidate for Gender Expert National Positions
A Gender Expert housed within the MOEWR FGS and will be available during the duration of the project to strengthen gender considerations in climate change adaptation and in IWRM. Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Project Manager, the Gender Officer will have the responsibility for the implementation of the Gender Action Plan. The Gender Officer will work closely with the M&E Officer and the Enviro-Social Safeguards Officer on related aspects of project implementation, reporting, monitoring, evaluation and communication. Specific responsibilities will include:
Ø Monitor progress in implementation of the project Gender Action Plan ensuring that targets are fully met and the reporting requirements are fulfilled;
Ø Oversee/develop/coordinate implementation of all gender-related work;
Ø Review the Gender Action Plan annually, and update and revise corresponding management plans as necessary;
Ø Work with the M&E officer and Safeguards Officer to ensure reporting, monitoring and evaluation fully address the gender issues of the project;
|B. KEY RESULT EXPECTED
· Assisting with the training and workshops on managing water resources, ensuring that women have at least 30% representation;
· Highlighting potential water management schemes in Somalia that may have gender
· specific impacts (focus on agriculture, infrastructure and rural development);
· Ensuring sectoral analyses of IWRM consider the gendered impacts of climate change;
· Assisting to develop a strategic approach, guidelines and methodologies for strengthening the integration of gender considerations in climate change adaptation by recommending gender mainstreaming for existing and planned policies, plans, laws and regulatory frameworks, such as the planned National IWRM Strategy and the establishment of River Basin Management Authorities (RBMA);
· Ensuring that small grants for community-based IWRM measures include priorities identified by women;\
· Ensuring that district RBMAs have appropriate gender representation;
· Assisting in the implementation of Component 3 by supporting women’s livelihoods diversification with the introduction of value chain training aimed to reduce dependence on dwindling natural resources;
· Supporting the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) expert in the Project Implementation Team to find ways to segregate and aggregate gender specific data and information in the project M&E process;
· Assisting in organizing and implementing workshops to highlight gender considerations for sustainable adaptation and IWRM
|C. CONTRACT MANAGEMENT
Gender Expertwill fully be accountable and report to the National Project Coordinator in Ministry of energy and water resources federal government of Somalia
|D. GENDER EXPERT QUALIFICATIONS
The candidate should have the following desired qualifications and experience:
· A Master’s Degree inEnvironment, Natural resources Management, Water Resources, Geology, Engineering or Climate Change Modeling and/or related fields.
· A minimum of 4 year professional experience in Gender for Water Resources Management related function.
· Strong analytical skills.
· Strong orientation and knowledge in establishing baseline measurements for results
· Knowledge and understanding of government policies, regulations and practices
· Fluency in oral and written Somali and English
· Readiness to work in multi-cultural and fast – paced environment meeting tight deadlines
· Reputable person with good ethical and moral character
E. Procedures for applying
a) Interested experts who have the qualification to do the job are encouraged to submit the following document: An up-dated and recent C.V. and Cover letter addressing the selection criteria above
The closing date for receiving applications is 20 January 2020.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
576 total views, 4 today