Terms of reference IWRM Climate Change Adaptation Specialist in Ministry of Energy &Water Resources (MoEWR) of Somalia
- Job category: Climate Change Affairs
- Post date:12 Jan 2020
- Share job:
|Ministry of Energy &Water Resources (MoEWR)|
Terms of reference
IWRM Climate Change Adaptation Specialist in Ministry of Energy &Water Resources (MoEWR)
The Federal Government of Somalia
|A. Project Background and Objectives
The Ministry of Energy and water Resources is implementing the Support for Integrated Water Resources Management to ensure Water Access and Disaster Reduction for Somalia’s Agro-Pastoralists Project, funded by Global Environmental Facility (GEF) on behalf of Ministry of Energy and Water Resources, Federal Government of Somalia.
The Integrated Water Resources Management project addresses Somalia’s first priority identified in its NAPA (2013): the need to build the climate resilience of agro-pastoralists while simultaneously increasing investment into sustainable water management.
The Integrated Water Resources Management Project is to ensure water access and disaster reduction for Somalia’s Agro-pastoralists.
Project objective is to re-force technical and operational capacities at federal, state and local levels to manage water resources sustainably to build the climate resilience ofagro-pastoralists in Somalia. The Project components are as fellow:
➢ Water resource management policies establishing clear national and district responsibilities
➢ Transfer of technologies for enhanced climate risk monitoring and reporting on water resources in drought and flood prone areas
➢ Improved water management and livelihood diversification for pastoralists.
The Ministry of Energy and Water Resources in consultation with UNDP will be responsible for the management and coordination of the project with exception of Somaliland. The project will be monitored by Project Steering Committee (PSC) comprising the Ministry of Energy and Water Resources (FMS), Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Education, Ministry Livestock and Range, Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation, Ministry of Women and Gender to ensure alignment will comply with FGS, UNDP, and GEF coordination policies.
For this background on behalf of the Ministry of Energy and Water Resource is seeking a qualified candidate for IWRM Climate Change AdaptationPosition.
|B. KEY RESULT EXPECTED
· Availing the flood control and management for each flood-prone basin
· Providing comprehensive Proposal for adequate flood cushion in water-storage wherever feasible, to facilitate better flood management
· Giving overriding consideration to flood control in reservoir in highly flood-prone areas
· Providing advice for physical flood-protection works like embankments and dykes
· Lying increased emphasis on non-structural measures such as flood forecasting and warning, floodplain zoning and flood-proofing in order to minimize losses and reduce recurring expenditure on flood relief.
· Improving national capabilities, including training and human resource development, for assessing water resources and determining water use on a continuing basis and for the planning and management of these resources
· Conserving water resources and optimizing their use
· Augmenting the supply of water locally by exploiting surface- and groundwater, taking into account long-terms trends, the future demands of local communities and other needs
· Ensuring the database management system is kept up to date by managing upgrades and patch updates to maintain the systems in optimal running condition
· Offering database technical support and troubleshooting to internal stake holders to help with systems efficacy and delivery on tasks
· Designing and maintaining data security and integrity policy and procedures to ensure high standards of performance as required by the dependent business functions
· Monitoring database performance to track usage through reports and to determine system tuning necessary for the ministry
· Proposing database and Operating System level security polices for data protection and improving database administrative programs to support on the ministry’s objectives
· Ensuring changes to systems are appropriately recorded, approved and tested to maximize procedures set in place with software specific to departmental/section needs
|C. CONTRACT MANAGEMENT
IWRM Climate change adaptation will be fully accountable and report to the National Project Coordinator in Ministry of energy and water resources federal government of Somalia
|D. IWRM CLIMATE CHANGE ADAPTATION QUALIFICATIONS
The candidate should have the following desired qualifications and experience:
· A Master’s Degree inEnvironment, Natural resources Management, Water Resources, Geology, Engineering or Climate Change Modeling and/or related fields.
· A minimum of 4 year professional experience in Climate Change related function.
· Strong analytical skills.
· Strong orientation and knowledge in establishing baseline measurements for results
· Knowledge and understanding of Public Sector policies, regulations and practices
· Fluency in oral and written Somali and English
· Readiness to work in multi-cultural and fast – paced environment meeting tight deadlines
· Reputable person with good ethical and moral character
E. Procedures for Applying
a) Interested experts who have the qualification to do the job are encouraged to submit the following document: An up-dated and recent C.V. and Cover letter addressing the selection criteria above
The closing date for receiving applications is 20 January 2020.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1208 total views, 5 today