TERMS of REFERENCE National Project Manager
- Job category: Management/Leadership
- Post date:18 Nov 2019
- Job expires in: Endless
- Share job:
TERMS of REFERENCE
S2S: National Project Manager
MINISTRY OF INTERIOR, FEDERAL AFFAIRS AND RECONCILIATION
Duty Station:Mogadishu, Somalia
Position Title:National Project Manager
Duration: 6 Months, with possibility of extension
Over the last few years, a particular focus in Somalia has been on the Federal Member State (FMS) formation process. As the regional state building process concluded, there is a renewed pressure to begin moving towards the re-establishment of district councils and administrations. The Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) recognized this priority early on and as a result, in July 2103 the Parliament passed relevant legislation (Law for the Administration of Districts and Regions in Somalia). It provides a rapid pathway to formation of permanent local administrations, and this legislation along with adoption of National Wadajir Framework for Local Governance in 2016. Furthermore, the majority of the States have also approved their local government legislation based on the provisional constitution that outlines the three tiers of Government; Federal, State and District levels.
Somalia has experienced over two decades of conflict and civil wars that not only eroded the trust and cohesion in communities and also destroyed economic infrastructure and public service delivery capacity. Under the leadership of the Ministry of Interior, Federal Affairs and Reconciliation (MoIFAR), the FGS and FMSs are committed to establishing the foundation for lasting stability and establishing of inclusive and elected district councils, through agreed frameworks to improve social contract between government and population through provision of service delivery. Expediting the district council formation process is a key priority for MoIFAR and its State Ministry of Interior counterparts. Local government at the district level is the first interface between citizens and their Government under the provisional constitution. Therefore, district council formation is an essential element of the overall perception of legitimacy of the Government within the overall goals of the Transition Plan.
The second phase of the Support to Stabilization (S2S) project builds upon the first phase, which ran from 2015 to 2018, involved the establishment of initial caretaker administrations and the provision of operational costs to support the caretaker administrations, as well as support to community engagement to lay the foundations for the formation of elected district councils. It is within this context that MoIFAR and theMinistries of Interior (MoI) of the FMS engage in a coordinated range of initiatives that will establish inclusive and accountable district administrations overseen by elected district councils and supporting the establishment of interim administrations in newly recovered areas. The goal of these initiatives and processes is to overcome the sociopolitical barriers that are hindering the re-establishment of district councils and administrations across the States of Jubaland, South West, Hirshabelle and Galmudug. It is recognized that community leaders and the citizenry at large needs to support thedistrict formation process for any district administration to have a chance to build and enhance their legitimacy. Local reconciliation initiatives and civic dialogue with communities are therefore seen as an essential pre-requisite to building the social cohesion necessary for district council formation processes to succeed.
Under the overall guidance of MoIFAR and in close coordination with the leadership of State MoIs the incumbent will be responsible for the project management of second phase of S2S. This will focus on the implementation of the Government components of the project to ensure coherence between MoIFAR and the State MoI’s and BnadirRegional Administration (BRA). Therefore, the role will involve close coordination and cooperation with the UNDP and UNSOM related components of the overall project, as well as the joint Project Board that oversees the implementation of the project. A significant element of the role will be ensuring the project supports the development of the institutional capacity and administrative linkages between MoIFAR and the State MoI’s. This role will also involve ensuring coordination and the development of synergies with related projects and programmes under the overall implementation of the Stabilization Strategy and the Wadajir Framework. The individual will be based in MoIFAR and will work closely with the Director General of MoIFAR and the Senior Stabilization Advisor. The role will also involve frequent travel to the Federal Member States.
The individual’s responsibilities will include, but not be limited, to the following duties:
- Prepare and update the work plan of the Government led components of the S2S project funded through the National Window mechanism of the Multi-Partner Trust Fund (MPTF) to ensure effective prioritization of project activities between MoIFAR, State MoI’s and BRA;
- Ensure the work plan for the Government led components of the S2S project are coordinated with the UNDP components of the S2S project, as well as ensuring broader coherence with MoIFAR and MoI’s stabilization coordination role and project activities of partners supporting the National Stabilization Strategy and Wadajir Framework;
- Strengthen institutional capacity at MoIFAR, FMS MoIs, BRA and at district level to ensure effective implementation of all S2S project activities, including coordinating and supporting capacity development workshops / activities;
- Work in close collaboration with the UNDP/S2S team and UNSOM to ensure the timely preparation of regular substantive and financial reports and otheradministrative documentation for Project Board to monitor progress of theproject, including the timely release of funding from UN PBSO;
- Work in close coordination with the S2S Monitoring and Verification Advisor, Local Governance Advisor and Senior Stabilization Advisor to develop and implement project reporting and monitoring mechanisms with the State MoI’sand BRA;
- Work in close coordination with the S2S Monitoring and Verification Advisor,Local Governance Advisor and Senior Stabilization Advisor to administer projectprocurement activities;
- Provide day to day supervision and guidance to the Project Financial and Administrative Assistant to ensure timely disbursement of funding and tracking of expenditures to ensure financial compliance;
- Contribute to the design of and support implementation of the S2S project activities aiming at enhancing local participation, inclusion, transparent and accountability of local government;
- Lead risk assessments to identify challenges and develop mitigation measures to ensure effective and timely use of S2S project resources, including addressing procurement issues, budgetary issues and security constraints;
- Provide support to the S2S project team in organizing trainings, consultative meetings, workshops to promote local council formation at FGS and FMS level;
- Provide leadership and direction for project focal points with MoIs, setting an effective agenda and ensuring project performance goals are established and met;
- Ensure adherence to the principle of inclusive and active participation of women and minorities and other marginalized groups on every aspect of the S2S project;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the MoIFAR Director General.
- Advanced university degree in public administration, governance, social sciences, development studies, programme management or related field;
- At least seven years of professional experience in project management posts with increasing management responsibility;
- Strong management and leadership skills including ability to provide strategic guidance, technical oversight, build strong teams, mentor staff, develop work plans, and manage budgets and project expenditures.
- Experience with Federal Government of Somalia public financial management systems and / or experience with a Ministry project implementation unit would be advantageous;
- Demonstrated integrity that engenders trusts from partners and strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work harmoniously as part of diverse team;
- Excellent communication, including ability to communicate fluently, both reading and writing in English and Somali.
- Willingness to work long hours and ability to multi-task in a high-pressure, rapiddeadline-oriented environment;
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office suite;
- Willingness to travel in Somalia as needed, including areas which are considered a high security threat environment
- Professionalism including integrity and respect for diversity
- Leadership, empowering others and team work
- Managing performance, accountability and judgment / decision making
- Planning and organization
- Building Trust and Communication
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1509 total views, 2 today