Terms of Reference: Study research on the current dynamics of civic space in Somaliland for youth and women Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), Somaliland
- Job category: Research/Review/Report/Writings
- Post date:15 Sep 2021
- Job expires in: 5 days
- Share job:
Terms of Reference
SOYDAVO is a national NGO based in Somaliland with various offices across the country.
Over the past 14 years, SOYDAVO’s work has mainly worked improving the role of women and youth CSOs in the decision-making and political space in Somaliland. We also focused on supporting and empowering IDPs, refugees, returnees, drought-affected communities and vulnerable and marginalized communities in Somaliland through the provision of tailored-made entrepreneurship trainings, creation of sustainable income generative sources, small business management and TVET skills training that all aimed to improve the living conditions of the most affected communities in Somaliland.
In 2020, SOYDAVO started the implementation of Expanding Civic Space, Empowering Youth and Women to Contribute to the Governance and Development processes in Somaliland which is a consortium project known as ‘Dan-Guud Consortium’ which is funded by the European Union. The project is led by SOYDAVO with three other co-applicants namely, YOVENCO, SONSAF and Media INK. The project is also supporting number of youth-led organizations such as MASAF. The project effectively kicked off in January 2020 and will end in December 2022.
The project aims at improving the role of women and youth CSOs in the decision-making and political space in Somaliland, and this will be accomplished by the empowerment of the CSOs that can act either as a driving force for good governance and accountability, or as a mobiliser for related grassroots movements. Three areas of interventions (or specific objectives) are needed in order to fulfil the action’s overall objective. First, the consortium will endeavor to establish an evidence base on the opportunities and challenges that CSOs face within the broader environment. Secondly, the consortium is to improve transparency of the draft policies and feedback by the CSOs. The third component of the project is to improve campaigning and participation of the CSOs in elections and democratic processes. Specifically, the project aims to increase women and youth’s participation in elections and democratic processes in Somaliland.
The purpose of this call for consultancy is to conduct research on the current dynamics of civic space in Somaliland for youth and women Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) to influence public policy and decision making at national, local community levels.
Currently there is a lack of updated research on the current dynamics of civic space in Somaliland. The few recent studies either focuses on a sector that is not related to good governance (e.g. health sector), or that they explore civil society’s role as a potential governance actor without first acknowledging the internal and external challenges it faces.
This research will be carried out focusing on the external environment that civil society operates. Specifically, it will explore the political, legislative, social and economic environment which citizens – particularly women and youth CSOs – need to navigate in order to come together, share their interests and concerns and act individually and collectively to influence and shape policymaking on issues that affect citizen’s lives. It will also examine to what extent the governing bodies take into account interests, needs and concerns of the citizens. The findings of this research and other evidences that the project generates will form a strong foundation in which other activities of the action will be built upon.
SOYDAVO is open to further discuss with the consultant to purpose methodology that suites the assessment objectives. given the sensitive nature of the topic, SOYDAVO places the emphasis on research ethics in designing, and conducting the assessment. the expected methodology for the assessment would include direct and indirect data collection, analysis, cross-referencing and formulating recommendations. Data collection will be done through targeted locations and should involve relevant CSO including women and youth groups.
The assignment will result in the following outputs/ deliverable:
- Inception report with the design of detailed assessment methodology and tools for data collection to complement the already existing data available, including suggestions on selection of the key informants and FGD composition. more detailed inception report with plans must be shared 5 days after contract has been signed.
- Draft report with the executive summary addressing all objectives, evaluation questions, clear recommendations and lessons learned, submitted for inputs and feedback to plan.
- Final research report including all of the above incorporating feedback from SOYDAVO along with all relevant appendices.
- Dissemination: Presentation of the key findings, lessons learnt and recommendations through a dissemination workshop online or in person as feasible.
- TIMING AND DURATION
The consultant shall submit an inception report (including the analysis done on the basis of the background material, the methodologies and data collection tools to be used and the detailed timetable for the fieldwork in Somaliland) for the consultancy to SOYDAVO no later than 7th October 2021 at 15.00hr.
The first draft of the reports of the consultancy should be sent for comments to SOYDAVO 31th October 2021.
The final consultancy report, which incorporates the EU and SOYDAVO comments and suggestions done to the draft report, should be submitted to SOYDAVO not later than 5th November 2021.
- University degree in sociology, community development, gender equality or another relevant field.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the use of participatory evaluation methodologies Excellent knowledge and understanding of skills development, culture and arts related projects;
- Knowledge and understanding of civil society environment in Somaliland
- Excellent communication skills;
- Practical experience in the use of M&E tools, gender analysis and communication
- Practical experience in the use of story/testimony collection and analyzing methodologies such as most significant change etc.
- Practical experience in the use of participatory methodologies in project implementation
- Practical experience in both qualitative and quantitative research
- Experience in developing/analyzing communicational strategies for community-based development projects
- Excellent analytical skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English, knowledge of Somali is an asset.
- Good understanding of the society, culture and behaviors of the Somali communities in both urban and rural settings
How to apply?
Interested consultants/firms shall submit the following documents to email@example.com not later than 2nd October 2021 at 15:00hr.
- A detailed technical and financial proposal explaining the suitability of the consultant/firm to undertake this research;
- Updated CVs of the lead consultant (s);
- Sample of a report of any similar activity undertaken in the last three years;
- The contact details of three references including one reference from the most recent work you have completed.
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
849 total views, 2 today