Tor For Consultant to develop HRM Guidelines for Local Government – Dhusamareeb
- Job category: Consultancy
- Post date:24 Jul 2020
- Share job:
Ministry of Interior Galmudug State of Somalia
Terms of Reference
|I. Position Information|
The Ministry of Interior (MoI), Galmudug State of Somalia is the major governmental institution leading the local governance initiatives in the state. It coordinates the different activities of the agencies within the UN Joint Programme on Local Governance and Decentralized Service Delivery in Somalia (JPLG) and other stakeholders. The ministry also has a constitutional mandate in overseeing the functions and performance of the local governments through creating an enabling environment within which local governments can flourish.
Local Governments in Somalia are generally plagued by lack of clear guidelines on employment regulation as well as a poor understanding of the roles and responsibilities of employers and employees. This leads to difficulties in assessing and creating or enhancing human resource capacities for the local governments which are then unable to provide services for the populace.
The Ministry of Interior and Local Government, Galmudug State of Somalia, in collaboration with the JPLG intend to put in place a comprehensive Human Resource Management Guideline for local Governments as part of creating an enabling environment and to ensure that capacities are built that are institutionalized and long lasting.
In this context, the JPLG which is a five-year joint programme comprising ILO, UNCDF, UNDP, UN-HABITAT and UNICEF with the overall goal of “creating an enabling environment for improved service delivery and greater stability, through improved legal, policy and system frameworks – building the knowledge of those working in and with local governments” will support the Ministry of Interior in recruiting a consultant to develop a Human Resource Management Guideline for the Local Government who will to be based at the MoI offices and will be supervised by the Director General, MoI. Position is for a limited period delivery basis.
III. Objectives of the assignment
The consultant will help to strengthen and enhance the human resource capacities and capabilities of the MoI through:
- Drafting / developing a Human Resource Management Guideline for the Local Government
- Sensitizing the ministry and stakeholders on the guideline to ensure buy in
- Provide training on the developed HRM guideline to the target group
The Consultant should ensure that in implementation of their work, strong emphasis is placed on gender, women, youth and marginalized groups in local government, human rights, local governance and good governance principles of transparency, accountability and participation.
IV. Scope of work
The Consultant will: –
Review the constitution, existing guidelines and regulatory framework on HRM in Southwest State and identify gaps and weaknesses to be addressed in line with best practices.
- Consult and liaise with staff at Ministry of Interior and local governments in Galmudug State of Somalia and other relevant stakeholders to solicit their views
- Draft the Human Resource Management Guideline (inclusive of policies, procedures and practices such as equal job opportunities, equal pay for work of equal value, incentives calculation, safe work environment, equal access to training and career development, social protection/insurance etc) for the Local Government ensuring adherence to relevant legislation applicable to local governments in Somalia such as the regulatory framework on HRM and incorporate the comments and views of the ministry and stakeholders
- Develop clear KPIs and performance appraisal forms
- Develop guidelines for employees learning plans and career advancement
- Present the draft and identify gaps and weaknesses to be addressed in line with best practices to the ministry and other stakeholders and revise the regulation based on feedback
- Present the final Human Resource Management Guideline for validation
- Conduct training session(s) to the target group to explain the implementation and monitoring of HRM guideline.
|V: Monitoring and Reporting|
The consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Director General, Ministry of Interior on Local Government of Galmudug and with the JPLG certifying the quality of work before payment is processed.
Terms of payment:
The consultancy will be paid on delivery basis. The consultant payment will be comprised of Payment to cover for the services provided to carry out this assignment as per the TOR.
The Consultant shall submit his/her proposal itemized as above and all payments shall be subject to direct payment as contract states
The payment schedule will be based on lumpsum for 100% upon delivery of the final report and conducted validation workshop as the contract contents stating out.
The institutions/consultants shall submit his/her proposal itemized as above and all payments shall be subject to UNDP/JPLG payment Rules and Regulations.
VI: Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced University Degree in Human Resource Management, Social Science, Business Administration, Public Administration, Political Science, and other relevant Fields, Additional qualifications in training methodologies and adult learning are an added advantage.
Experience and skills:
- At least 5 years’ experience on relevant HRM capacity building, local governance and development at least 5 of which must have been attained in Somalia.
- A solid understanding of local government operations
- Management experience is an asset.
- Proven experience in developing HRM guidelines
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, analytical and interpersonal abilities;
- Ability to operate as part of a team, but also independently;
- Ability to identify innovative approaches to problems in a challenging environment;
- Computer proficiency with high level of familiarity with commonly used packages like MS office;
- Ability to work under pressure
- Self-motivated and self-driven and ability to work with a minimum of guidance.
- Ability to push processes forward, to be persuasive and at the same time collaborative, supportive and diplomatic.
- Ability to be calm and well humored while under pressure
- Fluency in written and spoken Somali and English required.
VIII. Application submission
Please send your cover letter detailing previous work done and curriculum vitae, before the deadline of Application :
Only e-mail applications will be accepted
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1243 total views, 1 today