Transport Assistant – Jigjiga, Somali Regional State of Ethiopia
- Job category: Transportation Affairs
- Post date:21 Jul 2021
- Job expires in: 1 day
- Share job:
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has been operating in Ethiopia since 2004, working in rural, peri-urban and urban areas in five regional states – Somali, Oromia, Afar, Southern Nations Nationalities and Peoples, Amhara – and the capital city of Addis Ababa. We engage in both development and humanitarian work, and seek to integrate approaches, programs and geographies as much as possible. Our partners include government, academic institutions, development and private sector actors, civil societies and communities. Mercy Corps Ethiopia invites motivated and qualified candidates to apply for the following vacant position.
Position Title: Transport Assistant
Number of Positions: One
Program / Department Summary
Transport Assistant will work within the Operations Department of Support structure, committed to provide reliable and compliant support to program activities in order to achieve efficient service to program beneficiaries.
General Position Summary
Reporting to Senior Area Support Service Officer (SASSO), the Transport Assistant is responsible for the efficient coordination and management of all transport and fleet in MC Jigjiga operational areas.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Work with the Senior Area Support Service Officer to design a suitably staffed and equipped transport function to support the MC’s vehicle operations and policies.
- Implement and direct MC standard Vehicle policies and procedures, with particular attention to safety and security issues.
- Manage and be accountable for the vehicle fleet, ordering and inventory management of all vehicle related parts and consumables, including fuel.
- Evaluate, manage and monitor drivers.
- Focal point for all purchases in Transport department. Raising PRs for vehicles spare parts and vehicle repairs.
- Manage the vehicle pool (if applicable).
- Ensure that appropriate communications equipment is installed and functioning in MC vehicles to meet the operational and security requirements.
- Ensure the correct and timely routine maintenance and repair of MC vehicles.
- Ensure that all vehicles carry the required on-board documentation and that all documents are kept current (including insurance).
- Inspect and record condition of vehicles, by maintaining weekly checklists file and ensuring that Vehicles log books are accurately filled
- Carry out regular training to all drivers on basic vehicle mechanic skills, daily vehicle inspection, drills on safety driving, defensive driving, use of Codon, etc.
- Ensure all vehicles are properly cleaned on daily basis.
- Prepare weekly and monthly report on transport department and discuss with Senior Operations manager
- Signing on vehicle fuel forms for refueling and keeping accurate record and monitoring system on fuel consumption.
- Ensure that all vehicles are secure when not in use.
- Be familiar with local regulations / laws.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor
- Plan ,organize and managing the work of subordinate staff to ensure that the work is accomplished in manner consistent as per the MC requirement
- Collaborate with other managers and staff members in order to formulate and implement policies ,procedures ,goals and objectives
- Establish quality transport and facility service for the organization.
- Provide on time, standard weekly and monthly reports to the Senior Area Support Service Officer, including fuel consumption report, maintenance report and any other reports requested by Supervisor.
- Well maintained fleet and good filing system for all vehicles
- Generate and / or maintain comprehensive price list for spare parts, for facilities equipment’s
- Conduct documented quarterly job performance reviews of Transport staff & Repair technician , providing appropriate feedback.
Strategy & Vision
· Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
· Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
· Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
· Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
· Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
· Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
· Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
· Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
Finance & Compliance Management
· Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
· Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
Influence & Representation
· Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
· Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
GEDSI (GENDER, EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND SOCIAL INCLUSION)
· Understand and aware GDI related priorities of the country office and contribute for the realization of priorities (continually work to understand and be aware of the gender diversity and inclusion priorities of the country office and contribute in the execution)
· Promote gender equal and inclusive workplace culture in a day-to-day interaction with a team member, partners and program participants.
· Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
· Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
· As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Knowledge and Experience
- Strong sense of personal integrity.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong supervisory skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Team spirit and problem solving abilities.
- Diploma in Auto mechanics from recognized college and 3rd Grade or above valid Driving License.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a Driver preferably in an International NGO.
- Ability to communicate in both Amharic & English languages.
- Knowledge of routes, duty stations, project areas, the NGO and diplomatic community is required.
The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building. S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. S/he have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to Apply
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised. All applications submitted to the Mercy Corps office include a CV, three references, and all relevant official documents. Applications will not be returned and will not be retained for future recruitment efforts. In order to ensure fairness to all applicants personal inquiries are not permitted.
Only candidates that are short-listed will be acknowledged and called for interviews.
“Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to empower women.”
DEADLINE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS: 29 July, 2021/ 4:00 PM
Please send non-returnable applications and credentials to one of the following address:
Mercy Corps Recruiter
Addis Ababa: P.O. Box 14319
Arbaminch: P.O. Box 33 , Jijiga: P.O. Box 225
Negelle Borena: P.O. Box 116
Dire Dewa: P.O. Box 974
Gambella Merc Cops Office: in person
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
414 total views, 1 today