Volunteer Midwife (10 Positions) – Heliwa, Somalia
- Job category: Health/WASH
- Post date:24 Oct 2020
- Share job:
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT (Midwife Volunteer)
SOS Children’s Villages International is the umbrella organization to which all SOS Children’s Villages including SOS Children’s Villages Somalia Association is affiliated. SOS Children’s Villages Somalia has officially been working in Somalia since 1985. SOS is currently working in 134 countries worldwide. We are committed to the welfare of children – often throughout the whole of their childhood, and to strengthening families and communities as a preventive measure in the fight against abandonment and social neglect. We also run education and health facilities. With the SOS Children’s Village concept, the organization pioneered a family approach to the long-term care of orphaned and abandoned children. SOS Children’s Villages upholds child protection policy and our selection processes reflect our commitment to the protection of children and youth from abuse.
SOS Children’s Villages invites applications from suitably qualified and interested candidates who fulfill the eligibility criterion for the position below;
Position title : Volunteer Midwife (10 Positions)
Reporting to : Midwife incharge
Location : Heliwa
Supervisees : Non
Functional Department : Health and Nutrition
The position holder is expected to learn midwifery and work under the midwife incharge in busy maternity unit providing 24 hour BEMONC services to women and newborns. Under the supervision of the midwife incharge of the section the post holder will train in provision of triaging, assessment, Active Management of Third Stage of Labour (AMTSL), resuscitation of women and newborns and provide nursing services.
The main objective of the position is to provide learning opportunities to the midwife Volunteer in providing nursing care, AMTSL, post partum care, newborn care, resuscitation of women and newborns, infection prevention and control, prepare patients for CEMONC when needed and organize for consulting doctor to see patients and document all care provided. Under the supervision of the midwife incarge of the section the position holder will contribute to all preventive, promotive and curative health services.
Priority Task and Responsibilities:
Learn how to:
- prepare patients for, and assist with, examinations and treatments
- Supervise and assist mothers in labour, monitoring the condition of the foetus and using knowledge of drugs and pain management.
- offer support and advice following events such as miscarriage, stillbirth, neonatal abnormality and neonatal death.
- Maintain accurate, detailed reports and records
- monitor all aspects of patient care, including diet and physical activitiy
- Provide standard nursing care to patients admitted iin the wards
- Communicate with patient and relatives to optimize care and treatment.
- Monitor, record and report to the doctor in charge any symptoms and changes inpatients conditions
- . Prepare rooms, sterile instrument and supplies, equipment and supplies, and ensure the stock of supplies is maintained.
- hand items to surgeons during operations.
- Instruct individuals, families and other groups on topics such health education, kangaroo nursing, exclusive breastfeeding, disease prevention and childbirth, and develop health improvement programs
- Order, interpret, and evaluate diagnostic tests to identify and assess patient’s condition
- Administer local, inhalation, intravenous, and other anaesthetic
- Perform physical examinations, make tentative diagnoses, and treat patients with with minor illness
- To assist when necessary in providing emergency cover outside normal working hours
- To work with senior medical staff so as to develop their supervision, teraining and management skills.
- Any other task assigned by your line manager
Qualification & Experience
- Bachelor degree in Midwifery
- Good counselling and communication skills
- Observing client confidentiality and privacy
- Good experience in BEMONC & Familiarity with CEMONC services
- Able to provide Basic Life Support to women and newborns
Competencies – knowledge, skills, abilities
- TRIAGING of women in labour
- Active management of third stage of labour
- Using partograph to manage labour
- Able to manage and organize services in labour room.
- Resuscitate mothers and newborns.
- Organize CEMONC services for women in need
- Link postpartum women and children to immunization services
Personal Qualities & Attributes:
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure
- A good communicator with other midwives, doctors, support staff, individuals, families and parapatients.
- Very good organization skills
- Team player
- Able to work with minimal supervision
Child Safeguarding Policy:
SOS Children’s Villages organization is committed to safeguarding the rights of the children and therefore, is expected that every individual who joins with SOS Children’s Villages Somalia understand his/her responsibility in protecting and keeping children always safe.
Interested applicants should send their applications with a CV, clear subject line and scanned copies of your academic and professional certificates indicating telephone numbers and three referees to: this email email@example.com
Closing date: 30th October, 2020
Competent Female candidate are Highly Preferable to apply
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
NB: The purpose of the position is to provide practical experience & learning opportunities to young Somali graduates. SOS Children’s Village will NOT provide any incentive during volunteer period.
This job description outlines only the general scope of activity and the basic tasks and responsibilities associated with this position. It is updated annually in the course of performance appraisal. It may be supplemented with a more detailed definition of tasks, responsibilities and involvement in processes.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1431 total views, 3 today