- Job category: WASH
- Post date:24 Nov 2019
- Share job:
|JOB TITLE: WASH Assistant|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: WASH PROGRAM||LOCATION: Mogadishu|
|GRADE: 5||TYPE OF CONTRACT: National
Duration: 12 Months
|CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.|
To contribute to Save the Children’s capacity to meet its drought response and child survival objectives in Somalia, through the provision of quality water and sanitation programmes in emergencies. The role will specifically address emergency water and sanitation, temporary construction or rehabilitation needs through assessment, programme design, management, capacity building and evaluation. The role exists to: assist in implementing direct emergency hygiene promotion and sanitation programmes; build capacities of hygiene promotion assistants, volunteers; and support hygiene promotion activities for Save the Children’s core programme sectors of health, education, child protection and hunger reduction where required.
|SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: WASH officer
Dimensions: Save the Children works in 4 regions in Somalia with a current staff complement of approximately 450 staff and current expenditure of approximately GBP 30 million each year
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
|Precise objectives will vary between assignments. The core areas that the position holder will be expected to deliver on are as follows:
· To manage community outreach activities and guarantee the efficient and effective sensitization, mobilization and participation of the communities targeted, there by maximizing the programme performance.
· Working closely with Water and Sanitation Engineering team to mobilize communities to support the construction and maintenance of water and sanitation facilities such as water points, latrines and bathing areas
· Working closely with health, nutrition, FSL, protection and education teams to integrate hygiene promotion programming across the sectors.
· Prepare work plans in particular with focusing water and sanitation needs of the target population.
· Arrange, conduct surveys and need assessments, as and when required for the on-going program or future project proposals;
· Identify need of water, establish and maintain contacts with the communities, water committees, Implementing partners, line Govt. departments,
· Train community volunteers and water management groups on operation and maintenance of water and sanitation facilities
· Arrange and facilitate meetings and seminars with communities
· Organize Hygiene promotion activities through effective media;
· Keep detailed up to date records for the project activities and water, latrine sites as per the instructions and formats provided by the Project Manager.
· With the Engineer, ensure that latrines are being implemented in accordance with the objectives of the project.
· Keep the Project Manager updated with regard to the security situation in the project implementation area and provide advice as to how to manage our presence in this environment.
· Perform and document regular monitoring of all project sites; planned, on-going and completed.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Comply with all Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child protection, health and safety, fraud, whistle blowing, equal opportunities and other relevant policies
· Account for SCI’s assets and interests and safeguard from loss arising from fraud, waste, weak administration or poor value for money
· Carryout the responsibilities of the role in a way which reflects Save the Children’s commitment to safeguarding children in accordance the Child Protection Policy.
· Within reason, implement additional actions and responsibilities, as requested by your line manager
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
· Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally.
· Ability to take direction.
· Ability to work in a team environment.
· Having Communication Skills
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Cuts away bureaucracy and encourages an entrepreneurial approach
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence
· Displays consistent excellent judgement
|QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Ordinary National Diploma in Public Health, Community Health, community development or Social studies
· Experience from working as a Project Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context
· Experience from working with WASH projects in a humanitarian/recovery context
· Excellent communication skills
· Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
· Commitment to the aims and principles of in particular, a good understanding of the SCUK mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
· Computer literate
· A moderate level of written and spoken English and good communication skills in Somali
· Knowledge of the operating context in South and Central Somalia
· Experience of and ability to represent SCI work in external meetings.
· Knowledge of Somali language and its different dialects
· Experience of community mobilisations, distributions and hygiene promotion
· Ability to work both in an advisory and a hands-on implementation capacity
· The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible, working away from home, and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
· Influencing skills and experience in advocacy.
CHILD SAFEGUARING POLICY:
Any employee, consultant, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activity on behalf of SCI must sign the Child Safeguarding – Declaration of Acceptance Form] and comply with the SCI’s Child Safeguarding Policy which is a statement of SCI’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it come s into contact.
This extends not only to children with whom SCI and its partners work directly, but also includes children whom staffs are responsible for. SCI believes that the situation of children must be improved through the promotion of their rights supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children International’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
All interested candidate is encouraged to apply online through:
The closing date is on: 3rd Dec 2019
Save the Children is committed to supporting performance-based career progression for female employees. The following are additional benefits which applies to successful female candidates
• 6 months of maternity leave subject to certain length of service conditions
• Increased health and dependence allowance
• 30 days of annual leave excluding weekends [Friday & Saturday]
|Date: Author: WASH DPM|
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
4279 total views, 4 today