Job profile Wash Engineer
Position : Wash Engineer
Job site : Baidoa Somalia
Report to : Wash Project Manager
Duration : 6 Months – Renewal Funding Availability
Date announced: 28/11/2019
Closing Date: 10th December 2019
The Wash Engineer will organize all activities related to the implementation of construction works including WASH infrastructure, Schools construction, Nutrition and Health centers and Child friendly spaces, from design to implementation, including logistics and monitoring. Responsible for the identification, design, implementation, monitoring and reporting of all construction activities in the assigned location. To supervise all engineering staff in order to effectively implement planned projects. To manage all administration and security of READO engineering activities in the assigned location. S/he will have to coordinate closely with the Hygiene Promotion Team and ensure that all projects implemented are demand-driven and communities comply with READO requirements in terms of contribution. S/he will report to the Wash Project Manager.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Supervise and manage sub-contracts (construction) including BOQ, costs, quality of construction and timeliness.
- Prepare tender documents and technical specifications for all construction projects
- Confirm completion of construction works in writing and provide technical support to the programme management team.
- Develop and maintain good relationships and lines of communication with relevant local authorities and communities, explaining READO’s role as an NGO and liaising with them during all phases of the project.
- Through agreed upon survey methodologies and established prioritization criteria identify suitable locations for the implementation of the construction activities.
- Guarantee community involvement at all phases of the project (identification, design, implementation, and monitoring) to ensure the development of community ownership for the projects. This should be done in coordination and cooperation with READO concerned sectors
- Get initial approval for all plans and final approval from the WASH Manager and the relevant Technical Specialist before commencement of project implementation.
- Prior to commencement of project implementation, complete standard Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with community representatives and local authorities for each community identified for project activities. Ensure that all elements of MoU are adhered to. Report any problems relating to the MoU.
- Implement projects as planned according to developed technical standards, schedules and timelines. This will include site selection based on community agreement (the site should be suitable physically and socially).
- In accordance with project goals and in co-ordination with program staff, establish Community Working Groups. These groups will be involved in all phases of project activities (as following):
- Report any variations or problems with implementation of projects (in regards to staffing, costs, schedules, technical matters) to the PM. Where necessary, regularly update project implementation plans with associated time lines.
- Ensure full adherence to the READO security plans and protocols conscientiously respecting the declared ‘go and no-go’ zones ensuring that staff respects them.
- Supervise the procurement of any materials needed through a competitive and transparent bidding
- In the exceptional case of highly technical projects, organize a competitive bidding process to select the most qualified and cost-effective contractor as well as it manages the contract certifying the quality of the works performed.
- Coordinate with local authorities to obtain all licenses needed.
- Ensure that there is community contribution during the implementation phase either through labor or in kind financially.
- Provide feedback to the Monitoring and Evaluation team in order to assess the effectiveness of the projects and impact and propose recommendations for improvements.
- Provide regular written and verbal reports to the relevant Project Manager on infrastructure development activity.
- Organizes site-visits to the projects sites and hostess missions/consultants.
- Other duties as assigned
- In coordination with the Human Resources Unit, carrying out recruitment procedures for the project engineers.
- Training, coordinating and supervising the other project engineers and evaluating their performance.
- Externally, Establishing and maintaining collaborative relations with representatives from donors, local municipality, partners, workers, beneficiaries, and other stakeholders.
- Internally, establishing and maintaining collaborative relations with the Operations Sectors, the, Finance, Program Quality, HR , Operations departments
OTHER OBJECTIVES AND DUTIES
- As requested by the Executive Director, for the effective implementation of the project.
READO COMPETENCY FRAMEWORK
- Delivers timely and appropriate results using available resources
- Takes responsibility for their work and its impact on others
- Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well without needing direct supervision
- Understands the link between their work and the organization’s objectives
DEVELOPING SELF AND OTHERS (SKILLED)
- Shows awareness of their strength and limitation and actively takes responsibility for their development
- Actively shares knowledge and experience with others
PROBLEM SOLVING AND DECISION MAKING.
- Gathers the right information and uses critical thinking to make effective and timely decisions
- Stays with a problem or challenge until a solution is reached or no longer reasonably attainable
- Knows when to involve others in a decision
- Demonstrates awareness of the wider external influences that impact on decision making Consistent excellent judgement
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Extensive experience (minimal 5 years) of Infrastructure engineering in humanitarian or fragile state contexts
- A degree in civil or Architectural engineering, with experience in WASH engineering and hygiene promotion activities and Education projects in an NGO context.
- Experience in Computer Aided Designs like AUTOCAD, ARCHICAD, REVIT ETC is MUST
- Experience in quantity surveying, project design, implementation and evaluation.
- Ability to write clear, well-argued technical assessment and project reports.
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation
- Excellent communication skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- Computer literate (ability to use advanced excel)
- A basic level of written and spoken English and good command over Somali
- All interested candidate are encouraged to forward a CVs and a mandatory application letter to:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The closing date is on: 10th Dec 2019, READO is committed to giving competitive based process.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1735 total views, 1 today