WASH/HYGIENE PROMOTER OFFICER
- Job category: WASH
- Post date:2 Jul 2018
- Share job:
WASH/HYGIENE PROMOTER OFFICER
CARE International is an international NGO working in Somalia/Somaliland. CARE and its partners work with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, as well as mitigating immediate suffering caused by drought, conflict and displacement. We invite applications from experienced and talented individuals for the positions of WASH/Hygiene PromotersOfficerbased in Burao.
The WASH/Hygiene Promoters Officerwill be responsible for carrying out field work in order to mobilize communities, monitor activities, and provide support to project management and other team members for the effective and efficient implementation of the WASH project’s activities at the community level. The program officer (s) will closely work with the emergency program staff in Somaliland.
- Assesse and analyze public health needs and recommend sustainable solutions, to the WASH Technical Manager In liaison with relevant government ministries.
- With support from the WASH Technical Manager, s/he will oversee the design, construction and rehabilitation of water infrastructures, latrines, drainages and other relevant WASH facilities.
- Conduct hygiene promotion activities that increase community awareness in the host and IDP communities following PHAST, CHAST & CLTS methodologies.
- Undertake technical inspection of sanitary installations including latrines, pits, drainage systems and dome shape latrine slabs constructions.
- Ensure that internationally accepted and relevant standards such as the SPHERE standards, HAP, Somalia WASH guidelines, and protection principles are applied in all interventions and adopted.
- Participate in the Development of rapid response and contingency plans related to WASH program
- Assesse and advice on capacity building needs, of communities to the WASH Technical Manager to ensure effective development and transformation of beneficiaries’ quality standards of WASH activities, as well as sustainability of infrastructure.
- Prepare WASH field reports, guidelines and other strategic documentation.
- Prepare bills of quantities for different works to be undertaken in WASH.
- Develop detailed rates for items of work based on current market conditions.
- Review WASH Activities on daily basis to ensure that the work is being done according to the work plans and technical specifications.
- Ensure the WASH Activities runs on schedule, managing schedules of work, and finding solutions to problems that may cause delays, such as the late commencement of works and arrival of materials/NFIs.
- Participate in Provision of technical input in the general supervision, progress of WASH construction activities and control of quality of materials and workmanship
- Prepare documents for all stages of works e.g. work instruction letters, payment certificates, final handover and closure of WASH project documents.
- Maintain and update contract files on each WASH construction project.
- Roll out the WASH program for both IDPs and host community.
- Preparation of monitoring and evaluation reports on weekly basis.
- Documentation of lessons learnt in WASH programs for wider dissemination
- Update the 4W Matrix on monthly basis and submit to the WASH Technical Manager
- Represent CARE in the WASH cluster meetings and any other WASH related meetings and events
- Perform any other responsibilities deemed necessary or as delegated by the Emergency WASH Technical Manager or the Emergency Programme manager to meet the level of the services in the country office.
- Qualification in Water/Civil engineering, community development, or it’ equivalent.
- At least three years of professional experience in WASH /environmental health and community mobilization.
- Able to communicate effectively and build strong relationships with people in the community
- Able to work independently and act on own initiative.
- Good negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Previous experience working in a similar role in another NGO/ humanitarian organization is an asset
- Capable of producing reliable and timely reports and familiar with community research methods.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Speak/understand/write Somali language
Knowledge, Experience, Skills:
- Prior knowledge/training/experience in Emergency WASH Programme.
- Strong communication skills.
- Good listening skills.
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of different groups in the community
- Numeric, literacy and record keeping skills
- Good command in English, both written and spoken.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Good Communication skills
- Hard worker, team player, and goal oriented
- Flexible and well organized
- Work towards the achievement of Care project goals through effective lateral relations and teamwork between the community and the organization
- Ensure understanding of roles and responsibility, lateral relationships and accountability
- Build up an atmosphere of respect and trust within the project team
- Build and maintain effective professional working relationships with partner organizations
- Keep track of CARE Somalia resources, materials and equipment and ensure their safety and proper use
- Be a good steward by ensuring that project materials and resources are used effectively.
|Position Title||Relationship Purpose|
|Internal||Emergency WASH Officer||Reports and seeks guidance directly from the WASH T. Manager.|
|External:||Community and community leaders||Works directly with targeted communities and their community leaders|
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 7th, 2018. Kindly indicate WASH/Hygiene Promoters Officeron the subject line when applying. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
3838 total views, 1 today