WASH Officer – Hygiene Promotion, Mogadishu, Somalia
- Job category: Health/WASH
- Post date:30 Sep 2021
- Share job:
WASH Officer –Hygiene Promotion Mogadishu Office
Job Title: WASH Officer – Hygiene Promotion
Reports to: WASH and construction coordinator
Direct reports: Community Hygiene Promoters
Liaise with: WASH Engineer, Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator, Logistics Officer, Finance Officer, Emergency coordinator, Health and nutrition manager
Job Location: Mogadishu with frequent travel to project sites.
Contract Details: 12 months
Job Purpose: The role of WASH officer is to provide overall leadership during implementation of hygiene promotion activities of UNOCHA project. Support Partner hygiene promotion team in identifying and training community hygiene promoters, IEC material and methods, approaches to ensure effective hygiene promotion. Ensure community engagement for hardware activities in adherence to national, international and Concerns guidelines. The officer will ensure integration of key health promotion messages into existing program areas for the prevention of communicable diseases to the most vulnerable populations. She/he will work closely and mentor community hygiene promoters working with Concern and her implementing partners.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
Program planning and implementation:
- Identification of key hygiene practices to be addressed and work with Wash and construction coordinator to develop appropriate communication strategy to promote safe practices appropriate to relevant target groups
- Work closely with Community Hygiene Promoters (CHPs) attached to partner staff to provide guidance in the development of community Action Plans and community hygiene promotion tools in line with the Somalia health cluster.
- Supervise Community Hygiene Promoters in the implementation of the weekly Community-led action plans and ensure they have the required hygiene promotion tools.
- Conduct random spot checks of the CHPs in the field to identify training needs and areas of support while providing mentorship.
- Work very closely with the Community Hygiene Promoters in the selection of the most vulnerable members to benefit from WASH services including AWD kit distribution.
- Coordinate distribution of hygiene kits or AWD kits while ensuring equity in distribution in a timely manner and developing related reports in accordance to the WASH cluster guidelines
- Support the formation of effective and democratic community WASH committees
- Support the CHPs and communities in ensuring proper use and maintenance of WASH facilities.
- Supports Concern partners in implementation of WASH interventions
- Represent Concern at the regional cluster meetings in Mogadishu.
- Work together with other team members and partners to ensure that the various aspects of the WASH response are integrated, and that they form part of a coherent public health response across sectors.
- Together with WASH and construction Coordinator, design and manage a plan to monitor activities, outputs and impact and adapt the programme as needed including disease surveillance system.
Community Mobilization and Capacity Building
- Identification and support to community structures through which the WASH activities can be implemented.
- Mobilization of the disaster-affected communities as appropriate for participation in planning, construction, operation, and maintenance of WASH facilities and services.
- Ensure the program activities and designed on the strength of communication, participation and feedback from the beneficiaries.
- Build capacity of partners’ staff on WASH interventions and practice.
Monitoring and Reporting
- Prepare weekly and monthly plans for activities to be undertaken and compile weekly and monthly reports for activities undertaken by hygiene promoters.
- Through application of Concern’s monitoring tools, participate in monitoring project activities progress and outcomes in consultation with the WASH and construction coordinator
- Monitor, collect community feedback and report on project components and implication; including participation in post distribution monitoring of hygiene kits or AWD kits
- Contribute to preparation of required reports on WASH activity implementation progress and outcomes and SITREPS
- Work closely with the WASH and construction coordinator and the WASH Engineer in undertaking water quality monitoring and advising necessary actions to be undertaken.
- Work closely with the Emergency team in conducting assessments through Focus Group Discussions (FGD) and Key Informant Interview (KII), to be carried out on monthly basis (or as agreed with line manager) with the aim of assessing progress and gaps in WASH
- In conjunction with staff from Concern programs and through application of Concern’s M&E plan, collect data during implementation of the intervention.
- Ensure that Hygiene Promotion activities are in line with relevant standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles.
- Use participatory approaches as a far as possible throughout the programme cycle, in training, and in the use of tool kits and other materials.
- Ensure collaboration across sectors, leveraging coverage of beneficiaries to ensure maximum reach of key disease prevention activities
Concern is fully committed to responding to emergencies efficiently and effectively in order to help affected people meet their basic needs, alleviate suffering and maintain their dignity. To this end, when emergencies strike and Somalia/Somaliland Programme is to respond, all staff are required to actively participate in the response, regardless of location and contribute to the efforts aimed at achieving the humanitarian objective of the organization.
In line with Concern’s commitments under the Core Humanitarian Standard (CHS):
- actively promote meaningful community participation and consultation at all stages of the project cycle (planning, implementation, M&E);
- work with relevant colleagues to ensure that the Complaints and Response Mechanism (CRM) is functional and accessible, that feedback and complaints are welcomed and addressed;
- Work with relevant colleagues to ensure that information about CRM, safeguarding and expected staff behavior is disseminated among programme participants and communities.
Concern’s Code of Conduct (CCoC) and its associated policies
Adhere to the standards of conduct outlined in the (1) Programme Participant Protection Policy; (2) Child Safeguarding Policy; and (3) Anti-Trafficking in Persons Policy.
Qualifications Experience Required:
- Degree holder in Public health, Environmental health or community development with programing experience in an emergency context with a minimum of 3 years, / or Diploma holders in public health with minimum five years’ experience in WASH (hygiene promotion) field will be considered.
- At least 2 years of experience related to hygiene promotion programs, including practical experience in training and capacity building and monitoring WASH software aspects
- Good knowledge of water and sanitation issues, and hygiene practices
- Practical experience in implementing projects with community participation and volunteer support.
- Experience in community development, community health and hygiene, social mobilization in the humanitarian/development field.
- Fluency in written English and spoken Somali
- Excellent communication skills (empathy, knowledge sharing, participative approach methodologies)
- Good planning, reporting and organization skills
- Previous experience in community based work with NGOs and/or international organizations in the fields of hygiene, water, sanitation or behaviour change.
- Understanding of mainstreaming issues of gender equity and protection in WASH
- First-hand knowledge of IDP camps and communities in Baidoa.
- Previous experience working with Concern.
- Previous experience in Somalia.
- Be a team player and support conducive working environments within the office and as a member of Concern’s broader team
- Provide inputs to the WASH & Construction Coordinator in the development of new proposals by providing technical information based on hygiene promotion
- Contribute to the CHS Accountability and Programme Participant Protection Policy roll out process as appropriate
- Any other reasonable tasks as may be assigned by the line manager, that is consistent with the nature of the job
This job description is not exhaustive and may be revised by the line manager from time to time.
How to Apply: Interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, should submit their applications (cover letter, updated CV and contacts of 3 professional referees) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title “Application- WASH Officer” by Thursday, 14th October 2021.
ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the written test and interview.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Code of Conduct and its Associated Policies: Safeguarding Policy and the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Policy. These have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants from exploitation, and to clarify the responsibilities of Concern staff, consultants, visitors to the programme and partner organization, and the standards of behavior expected of them. In this context, staff have a responsibility to the organization to strive for, and maintain, the highest standards in the day-to-day conduct in their workplace in accordance with Concern’s core values and mission. Any candidate offered a job with Concern Worldwide will be expected to sign the Concern Staff Code of Conduct and Associated Policies as an appendix to their contract of employment. By signing the Concern Code of Conduct, candidates acknowledge that they have understood the content of both the Concern Code of Conduct and the Associated Policies and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these policies. Additionally, Concern is committed to the safeguarding and protection of vulnerable adults and children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work or volunteer with vulnerable adults and children are recruited by us for such roles. Subsequently, working or volunteering with Concern is subject to a range of vetting checks, including criminal background checking.
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
4821 total views, 7 today