WASH Project Officer (2 Officers)
- Job category: WASH
- Post date:24 Nov 2019
- Share job:
|JOB TITLE: WASH Project Officer (2 Officers)|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: WASH PROGRAM||LOCATION: Mogadishu|
|GRADE: 4||TYPE OF CONTRACT: National|
|CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.|
To contribute to Save the Children’s capacity to meet its drought response and child survival objectives in Somalia, through the provision of quality water and sanitation programmes in emergencies. The role will specifically address emergency water and sanitation, temporary construction or rehabilitation needs through assessment, programme design, management, capacity building and evaluation. The role exists to: assist in implementing direct emergency hygiene promotion and sanitation programmes; build capacities of hygiene promotion assistants, volunteers; and support hygiene promotion activities for Save the Children’s core programme sectors of health, education, child protection and hunger reduction where required.
|SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: WASH DPM
Dimensions: Save the Children works in 4 regions in Somalia with a current staff complement of approximately 450 staff and current expenditure of approximately GBP 30 million each year
Staff directly reporting to this post: WASH Assistant
|Precise objectives will vary between assignments. The core areas that the position holder will be expected to deliver on are as follows:
· Carry out public health assessments for affected populations, including assisting in collection of baseline information
· Coordinate hygiene promotion work with Save the Children staff, partners, relevant Government institutions and community mobilizers
· Work closely with the Water and Sanitation Engineering team to mobilise communities to support the construction and maintenance of water and sanitation facilities such as water points, latrines and bathing areas
· Work closely with the health, nutrition, protection and education teams to integrate hygiene promotion programming across the sectors
· Design and deliver hygiene promotion activities including focus group discussions, children’s hygiene clubs, theatre groups, radio spots, etc
· Support the recruitment of hygiene promotion assistants and community hygiene volunteers
· Identify learning and development needs of hygiene promotion assistants and community mobilisers, community hygiene volunteers, partners’ staff and community members
· Train staff on hygiene promotion methodologies, including assisting in collection of information for a KAP survey
Assessment and programme design
· Play a leadership and technical support role in assessing the public health needs (for sanitation and public health promotion) needs of disaster affected communities.
· Ensure that assessment, programme design and implementation consider children’s roles, needs and vulnerabilities within the community.
· On the basis of these assessments to design and construct appropriate responses (both programmatic and advocacy) to meet people’s basic hygiene needs, including hygiene enabling materials and provision of key messaging through appropriate channels.
· Ensure that hygiene promotion activities are informed by and integrated with Save the Children’s other priority sectors of nutrition, food security, livelihoods, health, education and child protection.
· Assist in the preparation of relevant project proposals for donors and advocate for funding.
· Ensure that sustainable systems are set in place for longer term hygiene promotion needs including provision of all necessary training.
· To ensure that all water and sanitation work is carried out in a manner which is sensitive to the needs of children and women.
Programme and people management
· Prepare and oversee the implementation process to ensure timely delivery of programme activities (for example, monitoring against logical frameworks, individual performance management work plans)
· Contribute to timely financial and narrative reports on project activities in compliance with internal SCI requirements and any relevant external donor requirements. Ensure appropriate management and use of SCI resources at all times
· Manage project staff including, but not limiting to hygiene promotion assistants, on a day-to-day level working with other technical departments, security, logistics, administration and senior management staff (depending on assignment).
· Assist in recruiting, training, supervising and managing hygiene promotion assistants.
· To ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Sphere standard and Red Cross Code of Conduct.
· Help be responsible for the security of all staff. Ensure that the security, health and well being of staff are ensured and staff management and other processes and policies and systems reflect SCI principles of equity and fairness.
· Identify learning and training opportunities for Save the Children staff and partners and work as a mentor and role model for less experienced staff. Look for opportunities for experiential learning within all work
Representation, advocacy and organisational learning
· Ensure that Save the Children’s work in water, sanitation and hygiene promotion is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and Government, and represent Save the Children at Interagency Coordination meetings.
· Take steps to document lessons learned in emergency WASH for wider dissemination
· In collaboration with the Emergencies section feed in learning, experiences and evidence to relevant global advocacy objectives relating to WASH.
· Report, as required, on programme work and any management issues arising in each assignment (to the area and country programme management teams)
· Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, procurement and logistics, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
· Ensure that all work is carried out in a way that is sensitive to community needs and gender and children issues. In particular to promote the full and equal participation of women and children in all aspects of the work.
· Within reason, implement additional actions and responsibilities, as requested by your line manager.
|SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
· Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
· Creates a managerial environment to lead, enable and maintain our culture of child safeguarding
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
· Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally.
· Ability to take direction.
· Ability to work in a team environment.
· Having Communication Skills
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Cuts away bureaucracy and encourages an entrepreneurial approach
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence
· Displays consistent excellent judgement
|QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor Degree in public health, social science and Community development.
· Minimum3 years of Experience in implementing and coordinating hygiene promotion activities, including programme design, implementation and evaluation.
· Ability to write clear, well-argued assessment and project reports, and assist in preparing successful funding proposals for donors relevant to hygiene promotion
· Monitoring and evaluation skills including knowledge on KAP surveys
· Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation
· Excellent communication skills
· Capacity to supervise, train and coach national staff.
· Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
· Commitment to the aims and principles of SCI In particular, a good understanding of the SCI mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
· Commitment to SCI Child Protection Policy
· Computer literate
· A moderate level of written and spoken English and good communication skills in Somali
· Experience of and ability to represent SCI work in external meetings.
· Experience of community mobilisations, distributions and hygiene promotion
· Ability to work both in an advisory and a hands-on implementation capacity
· The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible, working away from home, and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
· Influencing skills and experience in advocacy.
To apply the position, click the below link to access the application
The advert closes on 3rd Dec 2019
CHILD SAFEGUARING POLICY:
Any employee, consultant, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activity on behalf of SCI must sign the Child Safeguarding – Declaration of Acceptance Form] and comply with the SCI’s Child Safeguarding Policy which is a statement of SCI’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it come s into contact.
This extends not only to children with whom SCI and its partners work directly, but also includes children whom staffs are responsible for. SCI believes that the situation of children must be improved through the promotion of their rights supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children International’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
|Date: November 2019 Author: WASH DPM|
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
4790 total views, 5 today