WATER & HABITAT ENGINEER or TECHNICIAN CEELBUUR
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose ICRC exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. The ICRC also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
WATER & HABITAT ENGINEER or TECHNICIAN
About the Job
Under the supervision of the Program Manager, the Water & Habitat (WatHab) Engineer or Technician, plans, designs and implements engineering projects, monitors on-site works, carries out needs assessments, surveys and plans projects for the Area of Responsibility.
This is a resident/National position based in Ceel Buur with frequent travels to surrounding Districts and Mogadishu.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the Program Manager in identifying, assessing, planning, designing and implementing water projects in the area of responsibility (AoR) and monitors the impact of these projects
- Conducts basic design of engineering projects and on-site follow-ups
- Manages independently, execute administrative/office and technical works related to WatHab projects
- Supervises contractors, on-site works and conducts quality control during the design and construction of the infrastructures implemented by the ICRC
- Plans post-implementation assessments and administers hand-over of the infrastructures implemented by the ICRC to end-users
- Organizes training for end-users in the operation and maintenance of infrastructure installed by the ICRC
- Support in the planning of the community mobilization activities and facilitate in the formation of water users’ committees as per the need of the operation context
- Provides the general updates, daily reports, field trip reports and technical reports for projects under his/her responsibility
- Prepares the necessary implementation, progress and completion reports for projects under his/her responsibility
- Ensures an efficient and effective information flow in either oral and written reports and accurately interprets from English to Somali and vice versa during field visits and/or when requested
- Establishes a close working relationship and networks with the relevant various interlocutors; Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS), relevant authorities, Water Authorities, NGOs and communities
Minimum qualifications and required competencies
- University degree (for Engineer) or Technical degree (for Technician) in civil engineering, mechanics, rural hydraulic, construction or architecture
- At least 2 years of professional experience as an Engineer or Technician supervising civil engineering works, construction of berkads, rainwater catchment, subsurface dams, hand dug wells, boreholes as well as small scale hydraulics structures
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali language
- Proficient in use of drawing software AutoCAD or similar
- Strong relationships with relevant organizations/actors in target projects communities; youth groups, women organizations, community leaders, local NGOs, media and local authorities
- Good knowledge of water and sanitation, civil engineering, rural hydraulics works
- Experience in managing at least 3 technical support staff
- Excellent organizational, planning and reporting skills
- Good knowledge of the political, social and cultural context of Somalia
- A challenging job opportunity within a dynamic work environment in an international humanitarian organization
- Training and development opportunities
- A competitive salary with benefits, based on the ICRC Compensation and Benefits framework
How to apply
Apply by sending your cover letter and CV addressed to the Human Resources Manager, ICRC Somalia Delegation, on the email address email@example.com. Your cover letter must indicate your current salary and your expected salary range. The closing date is 7th June 2020. Please indicate the position title in the subject line of your email message.
NOTE THAT ONLY EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Any enquiries about the position should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1820 total views, 23 today